Monday, November 17, 2008

Instant Love ... A Certain Chemistry ... By Mil Millington - Part 6

You know what I was thinking about back there? Back when Tom was having that problem with the punk outside the bar? Well, I've got to come clean again here, and tell you that back then I remembered that I cut a few corners, you know, "physiology wise." you see, I didn't really think to put enough space between the cues for "love" and the cues for "fear." I just kind of figured it'd be clear from the context. I mean, why wouldn't I, right? Then I hearr that some of your scientists have done this experiment and discovered that, because of the chemicals released, people who experience fear on a first date often "misinterpret" it as love. Was my face red when I heard that, eh? I simply can't tell you.

Yeah, well, it was just a thought I was having. Never mind.

There is another thing, though. I suppose I should have mentioned this earlier, when I was dropping all thes science on you and telling you the names of stuff. But, well, I lost my nerve, you knonw? One reason I lostt it is that this word's no sweetheart to say, I can tell you. Here goes ..."phenylethylamine." What did I tell you, eh? Even your own scientists shorten it to PEA, so they don't keep screwing up when they try to say it and making an ass of themselves during, I don't know, seminnars or whatever. But I got to admit, the length of it wasn't the only thing that stopped me. Fact is, I'm a bit guilty about it. PEA, you see, is a dirty trick. Sure-like I've told you- I was worried you wouldn't get yourselves yogether, tand that things would fizzle out 'cause of it, but PEA ... well. Okay, I'm just going to say it straight out. PEA kicks in when you're attracted to someone, and here's what it does: it stops you from seeing their faults. PEA is, like, your actual rose-tinted glasses. That's bad enough, right? But then ... Sorry. Okay. The length of time varies - it can be years - but after a while ... it stops working.

Yeah, I know.

I'm not sure I'd have had the guts to tell yoou this if your scientists hadn't uncovered that bit of evidence already. A dirty trick, like I say. Worse still, a dirty trick badly done.

Let's just say I owe you one.

No comments: